22nd of August
has passed well long ago, but there hasn’t been a single blog since.
Documenting the fine trip I experienced and the scrolls I pasted, I present you
this awaited personal diary of mine.
I opened the front door of the garden with a
slight creek. Rain was everywhere, making every solid surface at ground level
melt into the massive sludge of mud, grass, but mostly water. My scrolls were
well packed in the backpack, along with mtn 94 and the stencils, crushing any
doubt of possible water damage dealt by the Sky. A few steps until the large
brown doors slammed behind me – I was finally inside, just a notch wet of the
downpour I had caught on the way from the bus station to here. The balcony
hadn’t changed munch since the last time I had made my canvases and stickers
here – a few cardboard pieces left on the floor and some color on the ground
were the only reminders of the small body of work I had put out that day. Small
indeed, when compared to the stuff I had planned for today. In fact let’s count
it up. My once wild dream of 100 scrolls was far too ambitious, as for the very
first time of wheatpasting it’s impossible to put that many up by any chance.
And it was raining. The huge number truncated down to the delightful 5 of each
kind, having [bli:p], stand-art, artwork’s the only mirror worth having, You
and me, boring’s the new interesting and depth lies within the viewer, summing
up 35 scrolls in total. With the rain still daring my patience every time I
looked over the ledge, I started working. Scroll by scroll, song by song
(Mostly Kasabian – bass harmonized with the weather incredibly) I was moving
slowly to the milestone of half, then to the finish, when the white balcony
door opened and an awaited face popped out from the corner, greeting me and my
work, hung up on the clothes stand just beside of me. One of my partners for today's’ spray was a student of art, able to rate my work with an eye of the
experienced. An irreplaceable skill worth having, when hitting spots all over
the town (As for this kind of pasting, placement is as important as the
messages carried out with them). A little bit of chatting, spraying, song
listening and eating – the hours had passed, getting us near the time we ought
to get out of the house. It was too dark to see whether it was raining, or not,
by I thought I heard some splattering, as I packed everything up (Brush, Glue,
Glue can, scrolls, cans and a bit of money for those small road expenses, but
no stencils of my pieces, which played back greatly, when the you&me stuff
was unpacked) and left the house. It was about 11 o’ clock, and the rain had
stopped, making the bus-waiting much more joyful. In a matter of 20 minutes I
found myself in the city center, along with my mate. Our task was simple – we
need to get to the third member of our artsy crew, get the keys to the flat
we’re crashing, go there, wait for the end of the night shift she’s working,
meet her up at the flat, get the glue mixed in, pack the bag lightly, leaving
only glue, brush and scrolls in it, get the city smashed and then crash at the
flat. A few missed buses at that nightly hour and the discouraging rain, who
left as fast as it appeared, left us a bit bored and wet, but we made it to the
flat safely, passing the few hours with three things - A ‘Saturday’ magazine
(Entertaining stuff), de Montesquieu ‘Persian Letters’ (Didn’t get far though,
found my joyful mood way too jolly for such rather heavy literature) and a book
called ‘The Joys Of Smoking’ (Most definitely creepy thing, Google it up if you
dare). In a few hours time our group was complete, as the third and final
member of this not-so-much-graffiti-experience crew arrived at the flat. ‘I’m
tired, are we doing something or what?’ were one of the first things she said
to me. Only one more thing to be done – suddenly everybody was concerned of the
state of my preparings, asking me to show the scrolls I had previously made.
Lots of unrolling and idea getting actually got one of the ‘artwork’s the
mirror’ and ‘bli:p’ up on the girl flats’ walls. To test the skill of gluing,
as some might say. (The funny thing is the flat wasn’t the property of any of
my mates’ – it was owned by the friend of one of the spray-helpers, Ruth by
name. She turned out to like the door piece I had made and just asked me to do
the entire collab of every scroll I’ve got on one of the walls. Fun.) After
that we finally left. There is so much to say about the trip we had, but let’s
not take too much of your time.
The flats’ location was, if not in the heart
of the center of the city, then a few minutes walk from it. First piece we
slapped on was the ‘artwork’, a few blocks later another one was pasted on a
white column and a [bli:p] slapped over a ‘please do not park your vehicles
against the gates’. As later explained, no pictures of these were taken, so the
only thing you’ll see, when passing through the area, will be a glue stain with
some white, torn paper on it. Exploring the many great spots out there
continued, as many pieces of ‘stand-art’, ‘depth’ and ‘[bli:p]’ were pasted all
around the area, not leaving the slightest chance of me remembering nor the
exact location of each of them, nor the order of me pasting them. I’m just glad
we decided to take photo’s ‘on-the-spot’ at one point, as our route back home
wasn’t even remotely near to the one we took, when left the house. I guess my favorite was a street sign I transformed, using a bit of agility to get onto
the electricity box, then getting on a small ledge over the corner,
finally slapping [bli:p] over the first
name, making it a [bli:p] street. Censorship by ones’ looks on the do’s and
dont's. How awesome.
I have pasted the economical creativity
blogpost, documenting the [no]fears we experienced, the people passing and the
whole concept of the things you might want to think about, when pasting
w/pastes, but I guess you’ve already seen it, as getting those precious photos
from one of the helpers is taking a hell of a lot time for me.
Next morning we
terribly overslept. In fact so hard there was nothing to be rushed for anymore,
so I went down for a packet of milk and some corn flakes. Of course, as any
criminal, I returned to the 15 scenes of crime again, and found almost every
scroll torn off by the early street cleaners and/or angry people. The few ones
still up there were some artwork’s and the „high” spots I hit – the both street
signs. I guess a movement of hand to tear off the wet poster still classifies
as something to be done by the people cleaning everything, but a little agility required to get onto an electricity box is not. I mean – if police is not doing
it’s job good enough to get the guys on scene, the street cleaners are
top-notch here in Latvia. I can only be proud to have such awesome people
around me.
The pics we got should be inserted here... If
there were a lot of them. Our logic of „We’ll be returning the same way, don't
worry” got us pretty fucked. Now how sad is that...
Cheers.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.